Welcome!

This site is dedicated to my model railroad, the HO scale Virginia Midland Railroad. This layout comprises a 12X9 room with two levels. The upper level is complete and the lower level scenery has just begun.

I do a handful of train shows in the Virginia/Maryland region with Makin Tracks.
I also can help you find that freight car/locomotive or other hard to find item.

Email: virginiamidlandshops@gmail.com
You tube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Virginiamidlandrr/

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

More work on my On30 Layout

There just something about a small layout that gets you motivated.  Had some time over break and I got a lot accomplished on the On30 layout.
First I installed a Tam Valley Depot Hex Frog Juicer for the frogs on my layout.  These make stalling(especially short wheel base locos) on turnout frogs simply go away.  The board looks complicated but hook up took less than 5 minutes.

I also got a couple of flatcars built from Bachmann frames that were shortened and detailed.  Pretty much both were scratch built except the frame.
#10 has narrower boards

This no numbered flat has wider boards
As you can see in the background, I painted the woodsy backdrop by hand.  My layout is located in the wilderness near a river thus I have nothing but trees on it.
Backdrops should never overwhelm the layout.  Remember you want your trains to be the center of attention.  I believe I did a better job at this end.

RVRR #7 basks in the sunlight.  Still need to get my light done.  Too many shadows.
The last thing is the bridge/river crossing.  Since the area used canals, I thought it would neat to model one of those.  Rail service bringing in goods to transport to other areas via the canal and visa versa.  I think it is a neat concept.  I scratch built the bridge frame and will add the supports later.  Chooch makes the perfect canal walls but the color is not what I was looking for.  I'll color them a more prototypical gray.

The longer ties on the left will be a walkway.



No comments:

Post a Comment